top of page
  • Writer's pictureSiheli Siyathra

Dangerous Creatures Of The Sea

Updated: Aug 19, 2021

Fire Coral is the reason scuba divers wear gloves. These corals can sting, causing skin irritation. A stung person might have severe pains and feel nauseated. Which is not the best condition to be in when you’re underwater.

Flower urchins are very beautiful and very deadly. They contain toxins that can cause anaphylactic shock, convulsions, and finally death. You can get poisoned if you step on one in the ocean or sea. You have to be very careful and watch your step. Most people stung by flower urchins don’t die from toxins; they get disoriented from the pain and then they drown.

Cone snails have been very popular among collectors. But don’t let the beauty deceive you! Just one drop of the cone snail’s poison is enough to kill 20 people! The respiratory system shuts down due to paralysis. If you encounter a cone snail, then you’re in for a painful death. This snail is sometimes called the ‘cigarette snail’ because, after you get stung, you only have time to smoke one cigarette. I wonder who calculated this.

Portuguese man-of-war looks truly beautiful. Many people mistake it for jellyfish. That’s why this animal is also called ‘false jellyfish.’ You can mostly find them in tropical and subtropical regions of the Pacific and Indian Oceans. But sometimes currents move them to different places. The most mind-blowing fact is man-of-war is an animal made up of a colony of organisms cooperating together. Man-of-war has tentacles that can reach up to 30 feet long. It uses them to paralyze and kill fish. A man of war might not be deadly for a human but can be extremely painful. Its venom can stay on beaches for days! If stung by a Man-of-war, use something cold to stop the swelling and reduce the pain.

Sea snakes are much more venomous than their land-living relatives. Why? Because they have to catch fish. They need to immobilize their prey quickly, without letting them escape. If you get bitten by a sea snake, there is an anti-venom you can take. However, there is one snake you definitely do not want to meet: the beaked snake. One drop of its venom can instantly kill three men. It causes your respiratory system to stop working, resulting in suffocation. One positive thing here is that the beaked snake lives in deep waters. It would be most unlikely to see one on the beach.

Many people say that the lionfish is the most beautiful sea creature in the world. You can find them in the Caribbean and Eastern Atlantic. In one way, lionfish aren’t deadly, as their venom isn’t lethal. However, if you do get stung, you will experience pain so severe that you’d want to kill yourself. One fisherman who got stung in the foot says he wanted it amputated. That’s how bad the pain was! On the positive side, lionfish aren’t offensive. As long as it doesn’t think you’re a danger, it probably won’t attack you. Probably.

Chironex is a type of jellyfish. They don’t have teeth, but they’re as dangerous as hell. If a person gets stung, he will experience excruciating pain, red inflammation in the stung area, and heart dysfunction. The stung person must be hospitalized immediately. If not, death is inevitable. You should avoid touching any jellyfish and watch out for warning signs.

Surgeonfish have razor-sharp scalpel-like things on their tails. If a person gets close enough, they can easily cut off a human hand. Surgeonfish are easily spooked, so you have to be careful with them. You shouldn’t make any unexpected fast moves. On the positive side, Surgeonfish aren’t aggressive unless you provoke them.

Indonesian needlefish live in tropical and subtropical areas of the oceans. They have a very sharp needle-like beak and are especially dangerous when they hurl themselves out of the water. Most often, their victims are fishermen, who easily get stabbed. If you get stabbed, instant medication is vital to stay alive.

Triggerfish only get aggressive when it thinks you are a threat to its nest. The most dangerous are females. If you get close to their nest even by accident, they will bite you. The bite isn’t poisonous, but triggerfish have extremely sharp teeth. So the injuries caused need serious medical attention. Curious divers are the most frequent victims of triggerfish.

9 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page